Once the ballot invitation is closed, the ballot group is balanced, the MEC has been conducted with all Section 1 items addressed, as well as Standards Committee approval, it is time to initiate the ballot.
- Standards Committee Chair, Standard Representative, Working Group Chair/Vice Chair, Project/ Task Group Administrator
- Ballots cannot be opened unless all permission letters for copyrighted material have been received, reviewed, and approved by IEEE SA staff.
- For projects containing Open Source, if you intend to contribute to or modify the Open Source, then all applicable Contributor License Agreements (CLAs) must be submitted and a CLA number provided by IEEE SA staff.
- The ballot will not open until your program manager approves the request to initiate the ballot.
- A cover letter is not required for the initial ballot but is required for recirculation ballots.
- On the myProject Home Screen click Menu.
- Click Invitations/Ballots.
- On the Manage Ballots tab, use the Search Ballots box or Filter by Stages function to locate the ballot. You want to create a Standards Association (SA) ballot for the initial ballot.
- Click Initiate SA Ballot.
- At the top of the screen, enter a Draft Number (only numbers) and Ballot Duration (at least 30 days).
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click Upload Draft Standard to attach the required draft.
- Click Add Standards Committee Text (optional).
- Click Upload Supporting Documents (optional).
- Check the Request Registration Authority Committee (RAC) Coordination box only if your draft standard indicates registration activity related to the project. By checking the box you notify the RAC administrator of this ballot. If your PAR indicated registration activity related to this project, the box will be checked by default.
- Click Submit and OK to confirm. The request to initiate the ballot will be sent to the Program Manager for review.